Solopreneurs have a leg up over other businesses in several aspects. As the owner of a one-person business, you can sell your personality. Your brand is a reflection of you. Consumers want to know more about the products they purchase and the businesses they support more than ever. Newsletter marketing is a great form of digital marketing for those unique and quirky businesses that like to connect with consumers in a way big businesses struggle to achieve.
Doing email well is the best way to captivate your audience. Email blasting is not an effective way to connect with your customers. You want to personalize the who, when and why of your newsletters. Here are some things to consider when formulating a newsletter digital marketing plan.
- Segment – Segment your mailing list into groups with similar traits, purchase histories, etc. This way you can send appropriate emails at logical times that engage your audience. You want your content to be relevant to individual readers. This makes subscribers feel connected to you and your content. It forms a trust.
- Educate – Your aim should be to educate your audience, not sell to them. If your newsletter seems more like an advertisement, followers are likely to unsubscribe. Make your newsletter valuable. Then, when you mention a project or a new product, your audience will want to buy from you. In order to add value, you must know your audience. Don’t be afraid to ask them what they want.
- Personalize – A person’s inbox is personal. Many people are slow to give their email address and quick to unsubscribe. Add some personal touches to your email. Get a little vulnerable. Be a person, not a money hungry robot. People want to connect with a real person. They want to buy from and support someone they feel they know and trust.
- Respond – Interact with your community. Take the time to respond to emails. Make your audience feel they are heard. Consumers are more likely to purchase if they feel they can correspond with you. They want to know their attempt to connect is not just floating around in the internet ethers.
- Surprise and Delight – Make your list feel special. Tell them about new products and services before everyone else. Make them feel like they have the inside scoop. Make promotions fun and exciting instead of spammy.
Newsletter marketing is not for everyone. It takes work and requires consistency. Hiring a digital marketing agency can help you develop a plan, help you build an audience and help you connect with your followers.
Solopreneurs are uniquely positioned for newsletter marketing. Your brand is usually an extension of you, so your customers are usually looking for a way to connect. Give it to them while also increasing your revenue.